Keaton Batmobile(MTV Batmobile whereabouts)
Batmobile Forum
 Batmobile Home          Batmobile Builders     Calendar     Who's On

Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

«««678910»»

Keaton Batmobile(MTV Batmobile whereabouts) Expand / Collapse
Author

Getting Better at Internets

Last Login: 9/13/2019 2:33:57 AM
I totally agree with you.    Its hard for me to explain what i am going to say but I'll try.

In My GMC that i just got running, the steering column is out of an 86 Silverado, the GMC is an 89, the shifter rod attachment on an 86 is on the right of the column, the shifter on an 88 thru 94 is on the right, this caused my shift patturn to be reversed.     So now Park is where low 1 is on the column, and low 1 is my "crank" position where Park is on the colum.   The shifter on the column free floats, so there are no designated park positions, nor reverse, or drive positions, its simply a lever on a rod that moves the "clicker" on the side of the transmission. 

Now the 700R4 i have on the GMC has a positioner tab inside of the transmission, all transmissions that i have delt with (that are not fully computer controlled) have this positioner inside of it.   This keeps you from NOT being fully engaged in a gear, in other words, you cant be half in or half out of reverse, drive, neutral, etc.    Your either IN, or not, no inbetween.   

My 72 camaro has what is known as the "horse shoe shifter" by Hurst, it has a positioner on the shifter (just like B&M makes) as well as a positioner built into the TH350 Transmission in the car.   These two positioners NEED to be alighned or it can cause you to incorrectly select a gear (plus it makes it more of a hassle to go from one gear to the next.)   The cable on my Camaro broke one time and i had to pull all that apart just to put the new cable in it.   I never could get it fully aligned again, thank goodness I've decided to convert it to manual. 

Thats why i thought it was weard to have a secondary shifter when they had 3 levers to choose from right there in the center console.  And as long as the person getting behind the wheel know the old "Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, 3,2,1" patturn, anyone could just grab the shifter and switch gears.     Also I've never messed with the aircraft shifters that are in the 89, but i believe they would be free floating without a positioner built into them, especially NOT for an automatic chevy transmission .

Just my 62¢

Don Currie likes to steal my work!

Post #67519
Posted 3/21/2008 11:23:58 AM

Has NO LIFE!!

Has NO LIFE!!

Last Login: 10/27/2014 6:30:59 PM
The simple answer is.... Most aftermarket shifters (Hurst, B&M, etc) all are done by cable.   That cable can be bought in lenghts up to like...well I don't know but I bought a 4 foot one.  Being a cable instead of rods and linkage makes it easy to place anywhere you want to.  Piece of cake... 

Post #67520
Posted 3/21/2008 6:35:24 PM

Has NO LIFE!!

Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!Has NO LIFE!!

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:38:41 PM
Hey Jack is right.... On my T-Rex I have a Lokar shifter and its just cable driven so I have to feel the click of the 700R4 tranny. Every once in a while I feel the car taching out and I realize I am in second gear so I slide it forward and I feel the tranny shift into third then fourth. A couple of times I thought it was in second and I shifted into neutral and yes I have even accidentally shifted it down into reverse a time or two......It makes an expensive sounding noise....I think by using the shifter mechanism this would be eliminated but of course the shifter and tranny must be properly aligned.

Shaggy your shifter issue reminded me that prior to the current column shift pattern the pattern use to be  set up with the reverse all the way at the bottom. I remember my dad telling me they put reverse after park because children would grab the shifter and push it down into reverse. We had a 55 Buick Roadmaster that was set up that way. In the good old days it was perfectly fine to let your children crawl all around the car while the car was in motion. Those were the good old days...Cars were unsafe and we liked it that way.....my 32 cents....BWD

Post #67524
Posted 3/21/2008 10:55:55 PM

i know what you are talking about, not many people remember reverse being all the way down like that. My father hit a coal car (train) in '82, driving a 99% restored 1956 Oldsmobile 88 edition.

He died three times, the car never made it. He likes to brag that he has more metal in him than Terminator.

As far as that "accidentally shifting into reverse thing" Yeah I've done that myself cruising in our old 69 pickup, thinking i was real cool at the age of 17, and knocking it out of drive, into neutral just to rev the engine at people. I knocked it into reverse one time at 35 miles an hour, the rear tires screeched to a halt and it stalled the engine, boy did i look "cool".

From then on i never tried it again.

Anywho, sorry for going a tad off track, but i still say they should have hooked the original's shifter up in the center console .

Post #67530
Posted 3/23/2008 8:14:40 AM

"Andy Smith is my Hero".

"Andy Smith is my Hero".

Last Login: Today @ 11:53:08 AM
Mabey time was an issue, remmember they only took 12 weeks for a 'full build' including gadgets 

"There is no end but the end is near!"
Post #67550
Posted 4/30/2008 6:56:54 PM

Underprivileged

UnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivileged

Last Login: 10/17/2011 1:25:04 PM
Hurst/Olds Lightning shifter looks almost like the orig Batmobile setup and actually works (albeit not that well). Then again if you wanted to really build a super high performance Batmobile, you could use a Lenco, that looks even more bad-ass than the original Batmobile....but they are quite expensive.

Batmobile

Batmobile

Batmobile
Post #68607
Posted 5/6/2008 1:41:05 PM

Resident CLTC

Resident CLTC

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:32:23 AM
Why not use what is suspose to be there you can still hook up a cable or linkage to make it work....

Post #68692
Posted 5/6/2008 4:35:05 PM

I personally plan on trying that, or even better, a 5 speed top post manual.

A manual tranny Batmobile. now that would be different

Post #68701
Posted 5/9/2008 12:51:37 PM

Underprivileged

UnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivilegedUnderprivileged

Last Login: 10/17/2011 1:25:04 PM
Kevin (5/6/2008)
Why not use what is suppose to be there you can still hook up a cable or linkage to make it work....

Because unless you plan on making the car 4x4 with an Atlas transfer case and air lockers what will the other two levers do?

I suppose one could be made into an e-brake, but that still leaves one dummy lever.

If you go with either of the shifter mechanisms I suggested you can then simply use the aircraft assembly as a cover and add the nobs for the correct look and it will all be 100% functional.
Post #68775
Posted 6/3/2008 7:46:26 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 6/10/2009 5:05:25 PM
I know this is kind of a tangent here but did not want to make a new thread but does anyone know where any of the original tumblers are being kept right now. I realize that they are probably being filmed for the new movie but when they are not where are they? Thanks
Post #69251
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

«««678910»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 0 (0 guests, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -5:00, Time now is 7:29pm

Execution: 0.219. 16 queries. Compression Disabled.

Batman (1989 Version)

CLTC Club Shirts

1989 Batmobile Kit 1989 Batmobile Kits
1989 Batmobile Builders Batmobile Kit
Batmobile Kits 1989 Batmobile Builder

Batman and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and DC Comics and WB.
Use of anything related to "Batman" on this site is not to infringe upon the copyrights of DC Comics or WB.
The purpose of chickslovethecar.com is to foster positive discussion about one of the greatest vehicles of all time.
This site does not sell or build any related cars or kits. © 2004-2012 chickslovethecar.com "Chicks Love The Car"
Images linked courtey of cltc.co.

You can contact us by clicking here.